View single post by ole
 Posted: Sun Sep 14th, 2008 05:42 am
 PM  Quote  Reply  Full Topic 
ole

Mana: 

Which leaves only the question of whether he should have committed more troops. Beings Pickett's men were the only 'rested' troops, and since they came THAT CLOSE to breaking the line, maybe the guy really did the only thing he could really do at that point. Think how brilliant the move would be considered today had it succeeded.

Marty wrote this almost a week ago. My bad! I'm just catching up with an interesting thread.

Lee did commit more troops than just those. Pettigrew and Trimble were to take advantage of Pickett's break in the line and press the advantage, but they came under considerable fire and never really made it to the Union line. There were other brigades coming up from the south, but they were under oblique fire and didn't make it either.

Wait! Maybe those others were counted among the 12,000. Picket's division numbered about 5,578 on June 30th. Heth's was about 7,461 on the same day, and Pender's about 6,735. (No telling what Heth's -- under Pettigrew; and Pender's -- under Trimble had after their mauling on the first day.) So that could make about 12,000. (Now that I'm thinking about it, I really ought to look into what McLaw's and Hood's divisions (now under Law) -- were doing.

However, after two days of hard fighting, it is doubtful that Lee could have sent more. (Ewell's people were kind of busy on Meade's right.)

But it seems more and more like Lee just couldn't buy a coordinated attack anytime during those three days. Most everything he wanted to happen and when just didn't happen.

ole

Close Window