View single post by Half Moon Tune
 Posted: Sun Sep 14th, 2008 09:00 pm
 PM  Quote  Reply  Full Topic 
Half Moon Tune

Mana: 

I just discovered this website last night and am glad I did! I have run across many Civil War Forums, but none as good as this one, so Greetings!

cklarson, I do not have the education or experience of a West Point graduate, but I must disagree with this man's opinion of Forrest as being overblown. General Sherman certainly did not have a low opinion of Forrest. Sherman said that there would never be any peace in the west as long as "that devil Forrest is loose!" Sherman saw Forrest as the #1 threat to the Union in his area of operations.

Forrest is the only man I know who entered the Civil War as a private and finished as a general. There was a reason for that. Many historians when asked who the greatest Calvary leader of the Civil War would answer Forrest, rather than JEB Stuart, or Custer, or Phil Sheridan. Forrest has a reputation for a reason, as did General Jackson, whose strategies and tactics are still studied at West Point today. Thank you for letting me be a part of this discussion.

Last edited on Sun Sep 14th, 2008 09:01 pm by Half Moon Tune

Close Window