View single post by Half Moon Tune
 Posted: Sun Sep 14th, 2008 09:23 pm
 PM  Quote  Reply  Full Topic 
Half Moon Tune

Mana: 

I would have to pick Forrest, but for a Yankee I would chose Joshua Lawrence Chamberlain, and I don't mean just becasue of what he accomplished at Gettysberg. In my opinion he is one of the most underrated generals in history. If you have never read his book "The Passing of the Armies" I would encourage you to do so. The man was a great American and a great general who never seemed to lose his head in battle, reguardless of the odds. He was always in the thick of fighting and was wounded several times, one time being sent home to die, but he came back. Many years later when he did die it was from complications caused by his old wounds.

Like many generals, he wsa prometed to the rank of brevet general. With just weeks away from the end of the war, General Grant pushed through a full promotion for General Chamberlain in recognition of all he did for the Northern cause. Grant didn't want the war to end with Chamberlain being just a "brevet" General. When the war was over, Chamberlain was a full fledged general. Truly he was a great American and an example of the American "citizen soldier" at it's best.

Close Window