View single post by Half Moon Tune
 Posted: Sun Sep 14th, 2008 10:33 pm
 PM  Quote  Reply  Full Topic 
Half Moon Tune

Mana: 

General Chamberlain speaks (on page 268-269 of his book) of something he considered a terrible evil, namely the giving out of undeserved brevet promotions in the final days of the war. He mentions that officers who requested could be given a brevet raise of one grade, and he felt this was wrong if the promotion was not deserved. He mentions on page 269 that in the first battle of the last campaign he received "the brevet of Major-General for special service reported by my corps commander, I did not offically accept the latter until we reached Washington"

I have not found the source I was looking for concerning a promotion to a full rank (not a brevet) in the last days of the war. I may be wrong (won't be the first time!) but in things like this I rarely am. A couple of years ago I did a lot of reading concerning General Chamberlain from many different books and sources and it may have come from another source. Then again, I could be all wet, but I don't think so. I'll let you know what I find.

Close Window