View single post by CleburneFan
 Posted: Mon Sep 15th, 2008 12:16 am
 PM  Quote  Reply  Full Topic 
CleburneFan

Mana: 

Actually I have already read Castell's book Decision in the West: The Atlanta Campaign of 1864 and found it very interesting. I have also read Atlanta 1864: Last Chance for the Confederacy by Richard McMurry. Both books make a very complete study of the Atlanta Campaign. McMurry has a newer book The Road Past Kennesaw: The Atlanta Campaign of 1864 that I haven't read. I may put it on my list for next year. I like McMurry's writing style and would gladly read any book Castell or McMurry have written about the Civil War.

It seems as if you are arguing with me about the extent of Wheeler's damage to his very own Georgian civilian population. You are reading Southern Storm right along with me. You will see several references to Hood's orders to Wheeler to destroy whatever would be of use to the Union army in Georgia before they could get it. I said Wheeler did his share of damage, but I did not say he did an equal or greater amount of damage than Sherman. Afterall, Sherman prevailed and was the victor in Georgia. But if you choose to read that I am giving Wheeler more credit than he deserves, go ahead. Whatever.

Oh, by the way, I will suggest a book for you on Joseph Wheeler. I just read it a couple months ago and could hardly put it down. A Soldier to the Last: Major General Joseph Wheeler in Blue and Gray by Edward G. Longacre. What a great book! Wheeler is so interesting to me because he not only fought as a very young man for the Confederacy, after the Civil War he fought for the US Army in the Spanish-American War.

Close Window