View single post by Wrap10
 Posted: Mon Sep 15th, 2008 12:24 am
 PM  Quote  Reply  Full Topic 
Wrap10

Mana: 

javal1 wrote: 'You know he didn't get up there by himself, he doesn't belong up there, and he doesn't know what to do while he's up there, and you just wonder what kind of dumbass put him up there to begin with'. 

"if you substituted GWB for Barak ....."

My thoughts exactly JDC. Good chance that in a few years, you'll be able to open Websters Dictionary and that will be the definition under GWB.

Bush will certainly not go down as one of our great presidents, but I suspect that future historians will have a better opinion of him than most people seem to have today. Mainly because of his unyielding war on terrorism. And whatever else we may say about him, the fact remains that in the seven years since 9/11, there have been exactly zero more attacks on the United States.

And whatever we may think of the decision to invade Iraq, Bush deserves credit for refusing to cut and run when virtually everyone seemed to be saying we should. He held firm and sought for a way to turn things around. He found it with the surge. Something that most of his opponents claimed could never possibly work. Even after evidence showed that it clearly was. If we're going to blame Bush for everything from $4 gas to grandma's house getting foreclosed on, we have to give him credit for helping keep the country safe from further attacks, and maintaining his resolve in Iraq while being flexible enough to alter the strategy.

As we know so well, time tends to give a different perspective. Bush may be vilified by a large part of the country, but had opinion polls been around during the Civil War, Lincoln's approval rating at times might have been measured on the fingers of one hand. When Truman left office he was considered a mediocre president by many, but in the years since his reputation has improved quite a bit. I'm not saying Bush will ascend to Lincolnesque heights. He won't. But he might wind up like Truman as time goes by.

As for the joke - I thought it was cute. But I'm voting for McCain, so what can you expect? :)

Close Window