View single post by javal1
 Posted: Thu Jul 20th, 2006 12:24 am
 PM  Quote  Reply  Full Topic 
javal1
Grumpy Geezer

Mana: 

Wanted to post this specifically to MAubrecht.

Just read your blog entry about your hometown. Wanted to tell you about one of the most thrilling times in my life. It was the early 70's, in the Philadelphia Hilton which used to sit in the parking lot of the Vet in Philly. Had a boss at the time who was from Squirrel Hill (I'm sure you know the place). Anyway, it was Phillies vs. Pirates, and my boss took me to the game. After the game he said he wanted me to meet some people. Went to the 5th floor of the Hilton and he knocked on the door. There were three people in the room who's names you may recognize - Willie Stargell, Manny Sanquin (sp?), and Doc Ellis. Sat there for over an hour drinking Cold Duck with them! At that time I was a huge baseball fan, and meeting Willie remains one of my cherished memories. The sport hasn't seen a gentleman like that before or since. I can't remember the exact year, but I do remember that Doc Ellis had broke his hand the night before, and some magazine (Rolling Stone?) had just that day published an article accusing Willie of being a womanizer who cheated on his wife, so maybe if you can remember those things you can get an idea. Maybe '73 or '74. I know Richie Hebner was on the team (3rd base?), cause he knocked on the door and everyone shut up so he wouldn't know anyone was there - appears they all really hated him.

But there's a reason for this post besides making you jelous :P Some weeks later, the same boss took me to Pittsburgh and we went to what he said was a "nationally known" eating place for a "famous" sandwich, which is only known in Pittsburgh. It was basically toasted bread with everything under the sun on it - french fries, cole slaw, meat, you name it. He said it was invented because the miners only got 15 minutes for lunch, so the proprieter just started slapping a 4-course meal between 2 slices of bread. Been racking my brain for years trying to remember the place or the name of the sandwich. Does it ring a bell with you?

Anyway, enjoying your blog!

Close Window