View single post by pamc153PA
 Posted: Tue Sep 16th, 2008 02:58 pm
 PM  Quote  Reply  Full Topic 
pamc153PA

Mana: 

Hi folks,

Well, I've worked myself from Franklin to Nashville, and I'm really stumped by Hood's performance at Nashville. I'm having a hard time figuring out why he did what he did in the battle.

It makes sense that, since he didn't have enough numbers to attack against the Union Army there, he'd take a defensive position. Perhaps this was also due to what had happened to him at Franklin--he couldn't afford another suicidal attack, obviously. I assume he was planning to wait until Thomas attacked, then would counterattack, and take Nashville. But what was his plan, after that?

It seems to me that after that he sort of "lost it"--lost focus, lost clear thinking, lost common sense. Why send away Forrest's cavalry to Mufreesboro and further weaken your already weak position? It seems, IMO, that things just snowballed from there, and Hood was "lucky" to be able to withdraw south again.

So what happened with Hood at Nashville? Was he out of his depth as a commander of the AotT, which I've read some opinions suggesting, or were there other reasons that made him a "bad" choice for command? I'm by no means an expert on this--all opinions welcome!

Pam

Close Window