View single post by Albert Sailhorst
 Posted: Tue Sep 27th, 2005 02:36 pm
 PM  Quote  Reply  Full Topic 
Albert Sailhorst

Mana: 

I was born in the suburbs of Chicago....my father, grandfather and all before us came from Tennessee/NorthCarolina.....I was the first born up north. When I was 6 years old, my dad took us on vacation to Tennessee and Atlanta. The night before we left, he told me of the Great Civil War....all about the soldiers, battles, horses and cannons. As a 6 year old kid, I couldn't wait to visit those battlefields.

By the time I was in my teens, I read every book I could get my hands on about Gen. Forrest, Shiloh, Ft. Pillow and the war in general (all of Buce Catton's books). As I got older still, I visited Shiloh, Ft. Pillow, Parker's Crossroads, Corinth, Gettysburg, Pea Ridge....In college, I read more Civil War books than books for my major!

This past year, I started reenacting (I am 40 now, so I figure I had 34 years to read about the war, now it is time to experience it!). No matter how old I get or how much I learn, I can never know enough or find out enough.....It's a hobby....a way of life...it's remembering my past....it's teaching my son by my example and passion for the subject.....

Albert Sailhorst, Cannoneer, Scott's Tennessee Battery

Close Window