View single post by ole
 Posted: Sat Sep 20th, 2008 10:33 pm
 PM  Quote  Reply  Full Topic 
ole

Mana: 

I receceantly saw a documentary on Shermans march while soldiers mudering civlinans in cold blood i a bit qverstaed that were occasion where rape and muder by union troop did occur and officers where well  aware of these action and they whent un punished
When you have 60,000 guys, none of whom were altar boys, who have lived in tents for four years, you have what is politely called a mob. Rape and murder? We have preachers who do that with some sort of regularity.

And a correction to "they whent un punished," some were, some weren't. Let us not forget that Captains, Majors and Colonels varied widely in their personal attitudes. If an incident was brought to Sherman's attention, they were toast. It's when no one tells that it escapes his attention.

In any final analysis, as Commander-in-Chief, he was responsible. I tend to believe that he had other things to think about than sending out spies to dig up evidence of atrocities. (There is evidence that he had more than a few hung when he was informed. Probably not enough, but if you can't know what each and every one of your 60,000 toughs is doing every minute of every day, you ought to get at least a passing nod.)

Just a thought.

ole

Close Window