View single post by susansweet
 Posted: Wed Sep 24th, 2008 02:51 am
 PM  Quote  Reply  Full Topic 
susansweet

Mana: 

Ed I envy you going back to Shiloh again.  I had no relatives there but it is not that far from family homes in Northern Mississippi .  I feel a close relationship to the field there.  Maybe because the first time I was there I was the only one there .  I got there at 5 pm and the rangers were leaving.  They handed me a map and said I could stay til dark.  I had no idea what I was seeing but wandered around in my car looking at everything and reading the map .  I have been back twice since then and now need to go again since reading Cunningham's book. 

Vicksburg I hired a female guide to see the battlefield as I knew I was over myhead and didn't know what I was seeing .  She helped me a great deal then I went back in the afternoon and did it all again taking my time.  Ended up at the Cario sitting next to a female park ranger who was reading a book on reconstruction.  We had one of those grand conversations that I seem to have with park rangers most places. 

I would go back to Vicksburg in a minute.  Also Port Hudson, Port Gibson and Grand Gulf now that I know more about them. 

Susan

Last edited on Wed Sep 24th, 2008 02:53 am by susansweet

Close Window