View single post by indy19th
 Posted: Mon Jul 24th, 2006 09:25 pm
 PM  Quote  Reply  Full Topic 
indy19th
$user_title

Mana: 

Shadowrebel wrote:
Here is a web site providing an overview of the annealing of Lincoln's views on slavery, emancipation and freedom. It's full of contemporary 'sound bites' and historical analysis: http://www.mrlincolnandfreedom.org/content_inside.asp?ID=27&subjectID=3

Clearly a site like A project of The Lincoln Institute , is bias toward Lincoln.

Shadowrebel (John)

I'm so glad you have cleared that up. I guess we'll all have to avoid any book, website, or any other media outlet that might be biased. That leaves out such accomplished writers as McPherson, Foote, and even Ed Bearss.

I suppose that would include such books as those by the Kennedy Brothers, Charles Adams, and Thomas DiLorenzo. We'll also have to ignore the websites of Lew Rockwell and the 37th Texas Cavalry as these are all anti-Lincoln and/or pro-south. We'll pretty much have to ignore everyone since everyone is biased one way or another.

We should also probably ignore what the most important African-American of the era had to say about Lincoln in a speech he gave after Lincoln's death, because, well, he's biased towards Lincoln:

http://teachingamericanhistory.org/library/index.asp?documentprint=39

I have said that President Lincoln was a white man, and shared the prejudices common to his countrymen towards the colored race. Looking back to his times and to the condition of his country, we are compelled to admit that this unfriendly feeling on his part may be safely set down as one element of his wonderful success in organizing the loyal American people for the tremendous conflict before them, and bringing them safely through that conflict. His great mission was to accomplish two things: first, to save his country from dismemberment and ruin; and, second, to free his country from the great crime of slavery. To do one or the other, or both, he must have the earnest sympathy and the powerful cooperation of his loyal fellow-countrymen. Without this primary and essential condition to success his efforts must have been vain and utterly fruitless. Had he put the abolition of slavery before the salvation of the Union, he would have inevitably driven from him a powerful class of the American people and rendered resistance to rebellion impossible. Viewed from the genuine abolition ground, Mr. Lincoln seemed tardy, cold, dull, and indifferent; but measuring him by the sentiment of his country, a sentiment he was bound as a statesman to consult, he was swift, zealous, radical, and determined.

Last edited on Mon Jul 24th, 2006 09:26 pm by

Close Window