View single post by TimHoffman01
 Posted: Tue Jul 25th, 2006 02:27 am
 PM  Quote  Reply  Full Topic 
TimHoffman01

Mana: 

Personally, I think it wise to take anything found on the internet with a grain of salt.  Just how BIG a grain of salt depends entirely on the source of course, and what information you are using.  Example:  National Park Service, or Historical Society of Virginia would hold more weight than, say, Civilwar.yahoo.net (if there was one, just an example).  I've always put the least weight on the encyclopaedic sites.  Even the dedicated sites such as NPS or HSVA can make a goof once in a while, since they are run by human beings.  Sites that produce much higher quantities and are often also lower in quality.  Mainly I've found them much too general for anything besides getting an idea of what to look for.  If I find the same thing on multiple sites, I start putting more faith in it.

My question to the developers of wiki would be, if it's so bad you won't even stand by it....why do you bother with it still there?

I didn't know any college professors would actually flunk a student using it (but then I generally ignore it and so may not have noticed).  All I can say to the students would be that I sure wouldn't base my entire paper on it.  I work in a Community College computer lab (I'm the lab manager) and I DO see students using it all the time.  I've mentioned that (and cross referenceing with resources from the library) and they often look at me as if I've just started speaking Ancient Persian to them.

Close Window