View single post by Bama46
 Posted: Tue Sep 30th, 2008 09:57 pm
 PM  Quote  Reply  Full Topic 
Bama46
$user_title

Mana: 

Susan,
I am 452 miles away as I write this.. my birthplace, family home, and my emotional home is Florence, AL. Florence is only about 40 miles from Shiloh. I own property just off the river that is 10 miles or less from shiloh by river. I go there regularly to fish, to wander the river, to visit family and to go to Shiloh. I say emotional home because I have not lived there in 52 years, but the night before I return, I am like a little kid at Christmas, I can't sleep because I am going HOME! tho I plan to leave about 4:00 or 4:30 AM, usually I am on the road by 3:00 or so..
to answer ARTorBart, to create a manmade 'harbor' for replica paddlewheelers would be a sacrilidge (MHO). Pittsburg landing takes its name because there was a road that came close to a clearing along the river close to where some people lived. Packet boats would stop on a schedule to deliver mail and goods, as well as pick up goods to take to market. The boat pulled up to the bank (landing) tied up, pushed over a gangplank and did business...no docks, no structures to impede the river jsut a very imformal safe place to tie up. There are still informal boat landings all up and down the river used by local folk to launch fishing and other small boats.. I put in at a local boat landing called Panther Creek on the Alabama side. I have been using that landing for my entire life and my grandparents before that..
I am fairly certain the Tigress was not manned by USN sailors, but don't know about the gunboats that harrassed the confederates that night.

Ed

Last edited on Tue Sep 30th, 2008 10:08 pm by

Close Window