View single post by barrydancer
 Posted: Mon Oct 13th, 2008 02:34 am
 PM  Quote  Reply  Full Topic 
barrydancer

Mana: 

I've made a few posts, but I just saw this area and thought I'd introduce myself.

My name is Barry, and I was born and raised in Selmer, TN, about 15 minutes from Shiloh.  These days I live in Norwalk CT.

I've been interested in the Civil War since my younger days, perhaps because of my proximity to a battlefield.  Thanks to Ted Turner and Michael Shaara I developed a fascination for James Longstreet, who I've been studying for years and about whom I wrote my undergraduate senior thesis.

My BA is in history and secondary social studies education, and I recently got my MA in American Studies from Columbia University.

I love Civil War artillery, and often spend as much time on a battlefield examining the tubes as anything else.  I think the war was won (or lost depending on your point of view) in the West.  I think historians have spent more time analyzing how the South lost the war than how the North won.  I think Lost Cause mythology still has too strong a hold on the scholarship of the era and public opinion.  I believe Reconstruction was failure not because it was a bad idea, but because it was unfinished.  (Perhaps Professor Foner had some influence there.)  I think the contribution of African Americans to the war and Reconstruction has been overlooked in many ways and needs more concentrated scholarship.  My master's thesis concerned Northern black officeholders in Reconstruction Louisiana.

I also believe that's enough, so hello.

Barry

Close Window