View single post by pamc153PA
 Posted: Tue Oct 14th, 2008 11:58 pm
 PM  Quote  Reply  Full Topic 
pamc153PA

Mana: 

Hi all,

Here's a topic that I happen to like, and I know a few of you on this board are really into, but it's one that I haven't really read any discussion about: photography and the Civil War.

I'll admit to owning quite a few of William Frassanito's books, and I'll even admit to spending several sweltering afternoons on the Gettysburg battlefield, trying to match up photos from the battle's aftermath with the present landscape on the Rose farm (try matching rocks with rocks sometime!). I'm really fascinated with the then/now photos of battlefields,  have a pretty sizeable collection of carte-de-visites, and a very huge collection of photos I have taken at every battlefield I've been to. But I also am interested in how photography was important at the time of the war itself--obviously, it was important enough for Lincoln to give permission for Brady to accompany the AoP to Manassas to document the "quick and easy" battle (at which Brady then lost his wagons and equipment to the Confederates in the melee that ensued afterward). I think it was important to the men in the field as well (i.e. the carte-de-visites business), and of course used as a sort of propaganda after Antietam, showing the public what their dead sons looked like on the battlefield. And that's not to mention how Civil War photography is historically important now.

This is a topic I don't think we've talked about much, at least that I can recall, and I'd be interested in finding out what everyone thinks about the role of what was the relatively new process of "making pictures" in the CW.

Pam

Close Window