View single post by Dixie Girl
 Posted: Fri Oct 17th, 2008 03:19 am
 PM  Quote  Reply  Full Topic 
Dixie Girl
Southern Belle

Mana: 

ok, this is only the beginning of my first draft but i would like some of yall to read it and tell me what you think and if im on the right track for writing about this subject.

In the early 1800's medicine was just starting to advance. With the medical breakthroughs of Joseph Lister and Louis Pastur, older methods of practicing medicine was beginning to die out. Southern medical schools were popular and easily compared with Northern schools. In the North a 4 or 5 month course was given that mainly consisted of lectures, whereas, in the South a 9 month course was required. The reason for longer courses in the South was to not only give lectures but to give demonstrations as well. Then in 1861 at the beginning of the war men and doctors were quickly recruited to serve on both sides. At the time when President Lincoln called for 75,00 volunteers the U.S. Medical Department had 1 surgeon general, 30 surgeons and 83 assistant surgeons. Because of the massive numbers of volunteers the War Department ruled that 1 surgeon and 1 assistant surgeon be assigned to each surgeon. The new Confederacy formed a medical department similar to the Union's. Like in everything else, the Confederacy experienced a shortage in surgeons throughout the war. In both the Union and Confederacy there were boards designed to review a surgeons qualifications before he was assigned to a regiment. Unfortunately those with political connections passed the review more often than not. Many of these surgeons were incompetent and had a dislike of the the sick and wounded men. While there were a few surgeons who did care care for the men and help the suffering, most of em just helped fill graves. Many men got horrible infections from the lack of knowledge the surgeons had at the time about sterilizing their equipment after they were used. Soon Medical Inspectors were assigned to watch over the treatment that was given to the sick and wounded. Both sides also required that all enlisted men be given a physical examination. In haste to get the men to where they were needed they were given very poor exams or not given one at all. Because of this many men were sent into service that were not fit to be there.

Last edited on Fri Oct 17th, 2008 04:45 pm by Dixie Girl