View single post by Widow
 Posted: Fri Oct 17th, 2008 02:54 pm
 PM  Quote  Reply  Full Topic 
Widow

Mana: 

Cleburne Fan,
I do find myself wishing that moving picture film, even a very primitive form, had been developed by then. It would be awesome to see films of some battles and camp scenes and even hospital scenes, etc. I would love to see Grant, Sherman, Lee, Forrest, Custer, Cleburne, Jackson, Stuart, Davis, Lincoln on moving film.
You've no doubt seen the series of pictures made by Gardner of Grant conferring with his staff and subordinate commanders.  They were outside under a tree, sitting on church pews - which leads me to assume Gardner was standing on the second floor of the church.  In one, Grant was behind somebody who had a map, and Grant was leaning over the man's shoulder to see the map.  Did Gardner ever work in the western theater?  If not, then I suppose this series was made during the Overland Campaign.

Another set taken in quick succession was made by Brady.  It was the hanging of the six Booth conspirators.

Both series are about as close as we'll ever get to movies.  Brady and Gardner were inching toward that concept.

Patty

Close Window