View single post by Crazy Delawares
 Posted: Sat Oct 18th, 2008 02:11 am
 PM  Quote  Reply  Full Topic 
Crazy Delawares

Mana: 

I finally got done reading Gottfried's book,The Maps of Gettysburg. It took me a long time because it is the type of book that requires of me a great deal of concentration. I had some trouble making the adjustment going from one scenario to another. There was not much mention of time or time tables. It kept me thinking sometimes rather than concentrating on what was being written. I had to "shift gears" many times and refer back to other sources in order to keep some semblance of continuity in my own mind. And of course, there's the "house full of non-Civil War interested women" (three of them teen-agers) in my house that can make it very hard to concentrate on my "scholarship."
That said, I really did like the book! It got into the nitty-gritty of the battle and was a great deal of fun reading while thinking of the battlefield and trying to picture the fighting going on in that sector. I only wish I had the time to take it to the battlefield and go over every part of it with the book and really try to envision the action. It was worth the money!

Close Window