View single post by Johan Steele
 Posted: Sun Oct 26th, 2008 05:00 am
 PM  Quote  Reply  Full Topic 
Johan Steele
Life NRA,SUVCW # 48,Legion 352

Mana: 

Honoring the fallen; respecting and keeping the memory of those who have fallen alive. Maintaining and repairing monumentds and gravestones etc. Both the SCV & SUVCW do a splendid job of it. When they get into political manueverings they aren't doing what they need to be doing.

Back in 95 or 96 I bought one of those canteens that had been hanging on Richard Kirklands grave. The proceeds were to be used for monumnet restoration and maint. I think I paid about $150 for it at a benefit auction and it was money well spent. I then gifted the canteen to an individual in Charleston who had helped get me into reading the diaries and letters of the men. I spent many an hour in Charleston and Columbia reading letters, period newspaper articles and diaries.

I've been the Vice Commander and was just elected the camp commander of my Sons camp. I'm also working on getting a monument set at Allatona Georgia for the Minnesota men who fought there. Our camp educates on the life and times of those men of 61-65 through Living Histories, monuments & graves restoration and repair.

Bama; that's what they are supposed to be about. Keeping their memory and their history alive and not forgotten.

Close Window