View single post by pamc153PA
 Posted: Sun Nov 2nd, 2008 03:20 pm
 PM  Quote  Reply  Full Topic 
pamc153PA

Mana: 

Okay, folks, I'm going to throw one more new one at you, and then I have to get back to the real world, before you start yelling about me hijacking the boards.

What is your favorite Civil War myth or legend?

Could be proven or not, documented or not, one you just like, etc.

My favorite is the one about the ghost of George Washington riding the lines of the 20th Maine on Little Round Top as they fought off Oates' Alabamians one last time. Know that one? Apparently, men of both sides saw a man on a horse, wearing an unfamiliar uniform and a tricorn hat riding up and down the Union line, urging the Union men on. This gave the 20th Maine and their comrades the strength to give that one last push, and also made the Alabamians feel hopeless and frustrated. According to legend, after the battle, several of the men and their commanders (though not Chamberlain) wrote of this in their battle accounts, but, mysteriously, these accounts were left out of the Official Records. . .

What's creepier is that, also acording to legend, George Washington's aide reported that, one day, during the long winter camp at Valley Forge, Washington, who had been working in his cabin for several hours, came outside and simply stood there for a long moment. When his aide asked if he was alright, Washington said yes, and went back inside. Supposedly, he later penned an account that said while he was working, his cabin was filled with a strange blue light, and he looked that way to see in front of him a battle that he did not recognize, with uniforms that were unfamiliar, and battle weapons that were not invented yet. It lasted only a moment.

Washington's written account, like the Official Records reports, "disappeared." Was he seeing into the future to a battle he would help the Union Army win? Was it too much winter and cabin fever? Were the men on Little Round Top exhausted, and Oates' men suffering from dehydration from their long march without time for water? Who knows? No way to prove it, but definitely interesting. . .

Pam

Close Window