View single post by ole
 Posted: Mon Nov 3rd, 2008 06:49 pm
 Full Topic 
ole

Mana: 

I agree that those who maintain that there were: "Tens of thousands" should be challenged and refuted. But the ones who bother me more are those whose prejudices prevent them from acknowledging that ANY black men could have voluntarily served as Confederate soldiers.

Well said, TD. I do hope you will grant us the leeway to have a few fools and scoundrels on our side, as well.

It can't be doubted that, among such a significant population of freed or enslaved blacks, there would be some who would voluntarily serve what they considered to be their best interest.

I know of no one who will deny that there were gun-toting black Confederates. There had to have been hundreds if not thousands -- but certainly not 10's of thousands. I suppose that it boils down to the definition of a soldier. Ten's of thousands did serve the Confederate cause, but were they soldiers?

In my way of thinking, a servant who looks after his master cannot be counted. The thousands of slaves impressed to build fortifications cannot be called soldiers. Civilian freedmen hired to be teamsters, musicians, cooks, and laborers cannot be called soldiers. Yes, they served the Cause. But were they soldiers?

Enlisted, paid, and equipped by any entity authorized to carry out the government's policies can legitimately be called a soldier. "Enlisted" is the key word.

Much appreciate your input.

ole

Close Window