View single post by Texas Defender
 Posted: Mon Nov 3rd, 2008 07:00 pm
 Full Topic 
Texas Defender

Mana: 

ole-

I think we're pretty much in agreement. Most black men who contributed to the Confederate war effort in concert with the Confederate military were not soldiers. They were mostly teamsters, laborers, cooks, and servants of various kinds. If they are the ones we are counting, then they numbered in many thousands. Many times that number helped the war effort through their labors on the home front.

It has been pointed out that blacks could make more money as: "independent contractors" than they could as private soldiers. That to me makes those who were Confederate soldiers even more remarkable. They might have been a small number percentage wise, but they were there and they fought. As Johan says, they should be honored.

I also agree that you don't have to be a member of a combat branch to be a soldier. Many jobs that need to be done don't require combat skills. I was in a combat branch of the Army, and among those I most admired were medics. Some of them were conscientious objectors, but they went onto battlefields without weapons and saved the lives of soldiers. Thats all that mattered to me.

Close Window