View single post by CleburneFan
 Posted: Fri Nov 7th, 2008 12:52 am
 PM  Quote  Reply  Full Topic 
CleburneFan

Mana: 

cklarson wrote:
Also, I think this is correct, Booth and Lincoln were clan relatives. See any presidential genealogical website for Lincoln's and you'll see a gmother Lydia (?) Holmes. I believe a Booth gparent was also a Holmes. This might confirm my theory that Lincoln's death was subconscious suicide by assassin. In other words, AL was tuckered out from the trials of the war and subconsciously wanted to die. He also felt guilty for sending so many men to their deaths and felt he deserved the same fate. That he and Booth were related marks them with a "sameness," that is, Booth killing AL was the same as AL killing AL.

CKL

What an extraordinary theory! So it could have been something like our modern-day "suicide-by-cop"?

I'm going to have to give this one some thought. It would seem that Lincoln had so much to live for, the re-uniting with the South, helping ex-slaves to blend into society smoothly and all of the challenges of post-war US.

Lincoln was notoriously careless about his own personal security especially given that the country was at war for four years. Maybe he wasn't subconsciously seeking to be assassinated, but felt if it should happen to him--oh well.

Close Window