View single post by izzy
 Posted: Fri Nov 7th, 2008 07:26 pm
 PM  Quote  Reply  Full Topic 
izzy

Mana: 

In that cookbook I tripped across another recipe of which I can say, "Never in a million years!"  I always wondered what head cheese was.  Here's the answer:

Head Cheese or Brawn:  (4 servings)

A well-liked old-fashioned dish of jellied meat.  Have the butcher skin and quarter a calf head.  Clean teeth with a stiff brush and remove ears, brains, eyes, snout and most of the fat.  Soak the quarters about 6 hours in cold water to extract the blood.  Wash them.  Barely cover with fresh cold water, to which you may add: 2 onions and 5 cut-up celery ribs.  Simmer until the meat is ready to fall from the bones, about 2 to 3 hours.  Drain but reserve stock.  Chip the meat off the bones.  Dice it.  Reduce the stock by one-half.  Cover the meat well with the stock.  Reserve the brains. 

Now add: 1 tablespoon salt, 1 teaspoon pepper, 1/8 teaspoon hot pepper sauce, 1/2 teaspoon mace or sage.  Cook for 1/2 hour.  Pour into a mold and cover with a cloth.  Put a weight on top.  Chill.  serve, cut into slices, with French dressing to which you have added the diced cooked brains.

BARF! 

(Although I have to admit that I would probably eat this first before I would ever eat bugs.  The preparation of head cheese is certainly the most grotesque recipe I've seen so far.)

Close Window