View single post by ole
 Posted: Sat Nov 8th, 2008 03:35 am
 PM  Quote  Reply  Full Topic 
ole

Mana: 

who said anything about genius ole? I'll go ahead and take Sherman's word for it when he expressed his opinion of Grant's appointment of Grierson to lead the raid;"He is the best cavalry officer I have had yet". During the raid Grierson constantly kept the Confederates guessing by ordering well-planned diversions. He more than met Grant's expectations and did serious damage to not only Pemberton's supply lines but also to his confidence. Grierson continued to perform well and receive promotions up to and after the end of the war and had the distinction of being one of the few civilians, lacking any formal military education, to achieve the rank of brigadier general in the regular army.Let's not butt head on this, Captain. We're'r moe or less on the same page. We're just looking at it from another direction.  Grierson was a rather fortunate choice. that he was successful was as accidental  as it it might have bee nif he had chosen another to lead thr eaid. Grierson is not important. Another might have been equally effective. I'm not taking away froim him, I'm sayin only that there might have been another who would have done as well.

"what was asked of him, and not much more than that"?

Grant: (the raid)"has been the most successful thing of this kind since the breaking out of the rebellion. Grierson has knocked the heart out of the state." Now maybe I'm mistaken but I don't recall Grant being given to hyperbole nor one to dole out praise lightly.

And here I figure that the man did what he was askedl And, as it all came about, did it well. This is not, by itself evidence of brilliance. If he went on doing brilliant things, then he gets a promoin.

I'm not arguing that he was a nobody. It's just that he gets a bit more historical credit than he has actually earned.

ole

Sherman:"The most brilliant expedition of the war"

So as you can see I must respectfully disagree with your assessment of Grierson as a commander and of his raid as merely doing what he was asked to do.

Terrance J. Winschel (Vicksburg chief park historian)wrote an excellent essay entitled "Playing Smash With the Railroads" in his first collection, "Triumph and Defeat-the Vicksburg campaign"

Now I concede that Grierson may have not been a household name like Forrest, Sheridan, or Stewart, but I think it's safe to allow him his place as a solid, intelligent, and successful cavalry commander in his own right.

And with respect to the original question I think he was far better than "second string".

Last edited on Fri Nov 7th, 2008 08:46 pm by Captain Crow

Close Window