View single post by ole
 Posted: Sat Nov 8th, 2008 11:39 pm
 PM  Quote  Reply  Full Topic 
ole

Mana: 

Being a good ole southwestern southern boy I like good ole southern food such as: Fried Chicken w/homemade mashed potatoes and gravy,
Captain, I would be eternally in your debt if you would refrain from using my name that way. Correct: ol'. Incorrect: ole. As in Ol' Miss. Meanwhile, fried chicken with mashed potatoes and chicken gravy sound very fine. THE mom (a northerner) could fry up chicken every bit as good your mom. And she could make gravy from a moonbeam. (I was lucky enough to get her black-iron fryer when she passed. Trust me. Nothing like it in the world. Get 'er smokin and throw anything in it and it comes out crispy and nicely done.)

One of the comfort foods I forgot to mention was creamed chicken on bread. When there wasn't enough chicken to go around, she'd make this gravy with chunks of chicken. Pour it on stale bread and that was supper. But that is what comfort food is. We never got a steak or a pork chop. But what that woman could do with gravy and bread is THE definition of comfort food. (Even today, a steak is just something I like to have now and then, but it doesn't come close to a good meat loaf or fried chicken.)

When pestering her for recipes and such, she would say, "You should have been here when I was a bride." Really ought to have asked THE dad how bad it was. Now he was a bad cook. When THE mom passed, I had to teach him how to make a meatloaf. Fortunately, he had some daughters around and he really loved ham and fried chicken. Even in that little town, you could get fried chicken.

And this is middle-America talking. I didn't get to taste a pizza until I was 19. I never saw a shrimp or a crab-leg or a lobster. So. Little wonder that I get to rave over a really good meat loaf or a hot roast-beef sandwich.

And, by the way, by far the finest meat-loaf I ever had was with that aging gentleman from Nashville. What was his name? Larry something? And now my brain has lost the name of the town. There was a battle there and it involved Forrest. Seems it was just north or just south of Spring Hill. (Nevermind. I'll think of it tomorrow.)

Close Window