View single post by calcav
 Posted: Fri Aug 11th, 2006 01:43 pm
 PM  Quote  Reply  Full Topic 
calcav

Mana: 

Tim,

I need to do a little research on this one. Off the top of my head I can only recall a singal mention of signal rockets but I am sure there are many more. This one comes from OR vol. 17 part 2 page 266. It is from Rosecrans directions to is subordinates during the pursuit of Van Dorn after the Battle of Corinth.

"Lieutenant-Colonel Lothrop will furnish chiefs of divisions with rockets for signals. Three rockets at intervals of one minute will indicate the head of the advance columns; two at intervals of one minute will indicate the head of the columns supporting the advance, and one will indicate the rear of the entire column on each line. Should the signals of one not be answered by the other they may be repeated every fifteen minutes until answered."

Typical confusing directions from Mr. Rosecrans. Some time ago I saw an episode of "Myth Busters" on the Discovery Channel and they were investigating a Confederate rocket using parafin wax as the fuel. I can't recall the exact particulars but apparently it worked.

I'll get back with you if I find more,

Tom

Close Window