View single post by ole
 Posted: Thu Nov 20th, 2008 06:53 pm
 PM  Quote  Reply  Full Topic 
ole

Mana: 

...finished off with a slice of pumpkin pie and Cool Whip. Lots of Cool Whip.
Geez, Captain Clewell, and you call yourself a traditionalist? Whipped cream! With a hint of vanilla. At least Javal, with the MixMaster, will get real whipped cream on his pumpkin pie. (Sweet potato?)

Ever read the label of ingredients in Cool Whip? About 30 years ago I read the label on Coffee-Mate, to which I was addicted. I've added nothing but half and half to my coffee since. I'll take the cholesterol rather than ingesting that which, under another name or combination could make synthetic motor oil.

With you, I'm a traditionalist: turkey, sage stuffing (really. add some crumbles of breakfast sausage), candied sweet potatoes, giblet gravy, green-bean casserole ... etc. But not so much as to go for lefse, flotbod (no oomlauts on my keyboard), Rommegrot (open your veins and spoon in globules of animal fat) and lutefisk which has to swim in butter to have any taste at all.

I keep threatening to cook a goose for Christmas. Had an aunt that did that every year. No doubt her children still plague their grandchildren with that ******** goose. Tradition.

When I was considerably younger and recently single, we had a loser's club. And we'd get together on the holidays and rake up some amazing celebrations. Stuffed cornish hens with fried  oysters. Even the bad times can be good times. Just put some food on the table and all is right with the world. (It doesn't hurt to have a tub of iced beer and a glass or two of wine.)

Clarification: this was a conglomeration of those whose families were too remote to consider. Always go with the family. But if it is not possible to go home, and your family is discombobulated, it can't hurt to get together with those in the same situation. And this counts among the good times.

Memories. What was your favorite thanksgiving?

Ole

Close Window