View single post by pamc153PA
 Posted: Sun Nov 30th, 2008 07:52 pm
 PM  Quote  Reply  Full Topic 
pamc153PA

Mana: 

Susan,

I have done the same thing you've done for your nephews and nieces--I've bought my son a new ornament each year since he was born. I hang it on our tree that year, then when we take down the tree, I put that ornament into a special box with a tag on the ornament with the year and a little bit about why I chose that one. There are no particular themes, but so far, three of the six ornaments have a Thomas the Tank Engine theme, simply because that's what he's into. My hope is that when he moves out, I can give him the box of ornaments to start his own Christmas tradition with.

I was also thinking beyond Christmas to New Year's. Our tradition there is an old PA Dutch one: pork and sauerkraut. Saying goes that you can't eat chicken on the first day of a New Year, or you'll be scratching (as in, for money) the rest of the year. Why pork? I don't know--does anyone have an idea?

My husband has found a great recipe for sauerkraut that includes white wine and bacon, and makes the normally yucky food palatable to me! I've heard of other food traditions at New Years, but that's ours.

Pam

Close Window