View single post by indy19th
 Posted: Tue Aug 15th, 2006 07:34 pm
 PM  Quote  Reply  Full Topic 
indy19th
$user_title

Mana: 

James Longstreet wrote: Sounds like all you want to do Indy is tear me down and attack the South.  I am not changing the subject, and if you are referring to me as a neo-Confederate I find that very offensive.  And do you really think that 25 percent of families owned slaves in Arkansas, the poorest and most undeveloped state in the South?  I've read that it was closer to 10 percent, but maybe I'm wrong.  I'm not going to say something I don't have any evidence of.  Arkansas was mostly made up of white farming families in poverty, who intially opposed secession, but when it came the majority joined the Confederate armies and died by the thousands.  That's a good reason to keep the Confederate flag alive.  I don't know how you know for sure he didn't make the quote--I guess you were just there.  The quote is on sonofthesouth.net.

http://members.aol.com/jfepperson/stat.html

Census data can be appealed to in order to determine the extent of slave ownership in each of the states that allowed it in 1860. The figures given here are the percentage of slave-owning families as a fraction of total free households in the state. The data was taken from a census archive site at the University of Virginia.

Mississippi:
49%

South Carolina:
46%

Georgia:
37%

Alabama:
35%

Florida:
34%

Louisiana:
29%

Texas:
28%

North Carolina:
28%

Virginia:
26%

Tennessee:
25%

Kentucky:
23%

Arkansas:
20%

Missouri:
13%

Maryland:
12%

Delaware:
3%

Not surprisingly, the states with the highest percentage of slaves left first. The states that made up 4 of the last 5 were border states.

As for the Grant quote, if I wasn't there to NOT hear it, who alive today was there TO hear it???

Last edited on Tue Aug 15th, 2006 07:38 pm by

Close Window