View single post by mikenoirot
 Posted: Sun Jan 11th, 2009 06:54 pm
 PM  Quote  Reply  Full Topic 
mikenoirot

Mana: 

Old Blu,

I appreciate you taking time, to visit my blog.  I try to make my blog as "independent" as I can.  I do not take sides with either the Confederacy - or the United States.  Quite honestly James Longstreet is one of my favorite generals, on either side.  He was pragmatic, an excellent judge of terrain and most importantly his men respected him.  He performed exceptionally, in many battles: First Manassas, Second Manssas, Antietam, Fredericksburg, Chickamauga, Appomattox Campaign and many more.  I would even go so far, as to to state, that Longstreet performed well, at Gettysburg.  I did not consider him to be walking a "fine line towards insubordination," of Robert E Lee's orders, but offering an opinion, based on his experience - one that if followed, may have resulted in a much different outcome, at Gettysburg.  Robert E Lee considered Longstreet one of his most dependable lieutenants - and trusted his opinion.   The statement I made, regarding his long term desire, for an independent command, and his performance during independent commands, is well documented in many historical works.  By no means am I trying to be critical of him on my own accord.  I am stating facts as I have interpreted them.  There are plenty of commanders, on the Federal side, that I could also be critical of - John McClernand, Benjamin Butler, William "Baldy" Smith, Henry Halleck, etc.  You can count on me providing opinions on them, when I publish articles about their actions.

I would encourage you to sign up, for my blog, and post your opinions there.  My commentary, is my opinion.  It will not always be 100% unassailable, but I will never silence different opinions, than my own.  That is what I love about the Civil War - there are a variety of opinions, conclusions and debates about what happened - or did not happen.  Fortunately, there is plenty of room, for us enthusiasts, to have these differing opinions.

Once again, thank you for taking the time to visit http://ThisMightyScourge.com/ and provide your feedback.

Mike Noirot

Last edited on Sun Jan 11th, 2009 07:00 pm by mikenoirot

Close Window