View single post by oldcatawba
 Posted: Tue Jan 13th, 2009 01:35 am
 PM  Quote  Reply  Full Topic 
oldcatawba
Brevard Rangers

Mana: 

Just joined this community and wanted to introduce myself. I'm an eighth generation North Carolinian. I 've been interested in WBTS history since childhood. My fifth grade teacher's father was Capt. Preston Lane of the Confederate Junior Reserves who was wounded at Bentonville, survived his wounds and returned home and later married. Ms. Lane once brought her father's uniform to school and let us see it. In October 2008 Terrell Garren released his third book "The Fifth Skull" and the back cover photo is Terrell presenting the first copy to Ms. Lane who resides in a local assisted living center. BTW the uniform has been donated to the Henderson County Heritage Museum. I recently joined the SCV and am very interested in NC war history. My WBTS ancestor died at Rock Island Illinois and was lost to history till 1955 when the family found him and had his body exhumed and reburied in the family cemetary in Lake Toxaway NC. He was a member of Company K 62nd North Carolina and was shot and captured at Cumberland Gap, Kentucky. I look forward to learning more about the conflict and the folks on the board.