View single post by younglobo
 Posted: Wed Aug 16th, 2006 07:24 pm
 PM  Quote  Reply  Full Topic 
younglobo

Mana: 

OK my 2 cents.... if as stated above  

There is an error in the online version. On the first graphic, the block on the lower left that shows the totals of 1860. The lower right pie chart states the 7.6% owned slaves. The actual figure from the magazine (and the 1860 census) was 30.8%. Also the online graphic does not list the sources for the figures.

The main reason i have a problem with the therory that the Civil War was fought over slavery is if only 30.8% or 7.6% of the population owned slaves that means if you use the higher percentage that 69.2 % of the population did NOT own slaves , either they did not have the means or just didnt own them , I have heard on PBS and HIS channel ect. that only 1 out of 10 soilders had slaves. If this is true why did the other 69.2 % fight ? Must of been for some other reason then IE the war was not entirley a slavery issue , one factor yes  i will give you that , having said a rich plantation owner is gonna have totally different reasons for fighting then a poor dirt farmer. To quote the blue and grey "IM fitin becas you all is down here"

Close Window