View single post by Kentucky_Orphan
 Posted: Wed Jan 21st, 2009 11:28 am
 PM  Quote  Reply  Full Topic 
Kentucky_Orphan

Mana: 

A very interesting topic!

It has always been amusing to me that many generally refer to sotherners as being somehow more virtuous and pious than their northern counterparts. Even those who generally attempt to demean southerners and exhalt northerners who fought in the war tend to uphold this view-albeit they use words like archaic and rigid when refering to the southern virtues. None other than Porter Alaexander passes down to us his own beliefs when he talks about being "disturbed" by the idea that many southern commanders held in an "invisible being" that determined the outcome of battles.

Regardless of the propensity for virtue on either side, there can be found on both sides men who can be identified as saintly and/or profane. Two of the most profane can be found on the southern side. Nathan Bedford Forrest was profane-indeed, many of his contempararies were appalled at his behavior-though none seemingly had the courage to challenge him in this matter.

Jubal Early is the other that comes to mind. An example for his peerless profanity comes from none other than General Longstreet. At a reunion at west point, years after the civil war, Joe Wheeler approached some confederate veterans, including Pete Longstreet. Upon seeing Wheeler in a blue uniform, Longstreet pronounced "Joe, I hope Almighty God takes me before he does you, for I want to be within the gates of hell to hear Jubal Early cuss you in the blue uniform".

Close Window