View single post by pamc153PA
 Posted: Thu Jan 22nd, 2009 11:21 pm
 PM  Quote  Reply  Full Topic 
pamc153PA

Mana: 

Okay, folks, I threw this one out for opinions and then promptly got the flu, so I'm just getting back to the land of the living. . . I didn't even really watch the inauguration even though it was on TV.

Anyway, I think many of you are sort of proving what I was getting at, that Obama and staff could make all the Lincoln comparisons and coincidences they wanted to, but now it comes down to Obama to prove he's worthy of any sort of comparison, not necessarily in the specific situations he must contend with (the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan are in no way the Civil War equivalents), but in his philosophy and his way of dealing with his/the country's challenges. We can create a list of reasons why Lincoln has become the icon he has, but it's up to Obama, if he so chooses, to distill what he feels is important from Lincoln's presidency--actually, any or all of his presidential predecessors--and start using those things to build on and create his own presidency. But he must start doing his own thing soon; you can only rest on someone else's laurels for so long.

Just MHO, post flu. . .

Pam

Close Window