View single post by PvtClewell
 Posted: Mon Jan 26th, 2009 12:29 am
 PM  Quote  Reply  Full Topic 
PvtClewell

Mana: 

Durn that SusanSweet, she beat me to it.

I heartily endorse everything she said.

Other points of interest in Richmond might include Chimborazo Heights, which was the site of one of the largest hospitals of the Civil War, mostly a park now (although they might still have a small medical museum there); and Monument Avenue (impressive statues of Lee, Jackson, Davis and Stuart), which borders the Fan District and will only take a few minutes of your time. Your wife might enjoy shopping the boutiques on nearby Cary Street if you need a trade-off from all the CW stuff you're doing. Tons of good eating at Shockoe Slip and Shockoe Bottom.

My wife and I usually stay at the Catlin-Abbott House (a B&B) when we visit Richmond. It's a block from St. John's Church, where Patrick Henry chose between liberty and death (although that might be a sore spot for you, huh?).

Depending on how much time you have, Fredericksburg (and thus Chancellorsville and Spotsylvania) are about 50-60 miles to the north of Richmond, and Petersburg is about a half-hour to the south.

But to echo Susan, the Mariners' Museum (http://www.mariner.org/) is essential. Plan for at least a half-day visit there just for the Monitor Center.

If you want to come down to NC and pick me up, I can be your guide. I like how the English speak English. :)

Last edited on Mon Jan 26th, 2009 12:32 am by PvtClewell

Close Window