View single post by PvtClewell
 Posted: Wed Jan 28th, 2009 11:39 pm
 PM  Quote  Reply  Full Topic 
PvtClewell

Mana: 

I wish I could remember where I read this, but by the 1890s Gettysburg was the largest collection of outdoor bronze and granite statuary in the world. I reckon it still might be, if not closest to the largest.

At any rate, I don't mind it much. For the Union, they were put there mostly by GAR veterans to honor their fallen comrades as well as to commemorate a signal Union victory by the previously forlorn and abused Army of the Potomac. It was a way for them to sanctify the ground they fought over. I understand and appreciate the reason behind their thinking and am not bothered by it. And, in a way, because many of the monuments have been there for more than a century, they are history in their own right.

Many (but not all, i.e. Longstreet, IMO) are also works art. Gutzom Borglum, the creator of Mount Rushmore, also did the North Carolina monument, and it is for me one of the more thoughtful and compelling pieces on the field.

http://flickr.com/photos/80823321@N00/2916249085/

They also serve as landmarks. And sometimes they serve as catalysts for rumination and introspection.

Close Window