View single post by CleburneFan
 Posted: Mon Feb 9th, 2009 06:59 pm
 PM  Quote  Reply  Full Topic 
CleburneFan

Mana: 

This weekend, February 8, 2008, CBS Sunday Morning ran a segment about the many book stores, especially used book stores in Paris. It started with a man whose home and halls are lined with piles and piles of books, to the etxent that one can hardly pass among the piles.

It goes on to discuss the many people in Paris who specialize in collecting any and all books imaginable, even ones once considered worthless such as old dime novels. It seems that even though money can be made collecting and selling specialty books for what seems like obscene amounts of money if the right buyer can be found, the pople who choose this line of work share a trait in ocmmon. They are "biblio-maniacs." In simpler terms they are crazy about books even to the extent that they own far more books than they can hope to read. 

Suddenly I found myself learning about folks with whom I can relate. These are folks just like I am, with piles of beloved books. I can't bring myself to sell my books, but I do undertsand the love these people have.

I've given myself another name, however. I call myself a book pile-ist. (Not sure what the correct spelling of my new name might be.) While I do love my books, I usually hate my book piles and long for a large, cozy library lined with shelves where I can lovingly place my books  in some semblence of organization. But for now, the ever growing book plies remain.

It was fun to recognize versions of myself there in Paris plying their trade. I wonder how many rare Civil War books they have.

I believe Susan Sweet here has used the term bookaholic, another fitting term. There are a lot of us here at CWI. CBS Sunday Morning has shown how many more of us there are out there in the world.

Close Window