View single post by indy19th
 Posted: Thu Aug 17th, 2006 07:44 pm
 PM  Quote  Reply  Full Topic 
indy19th
$user_title

Mana: 

naakke wrote: Just finished reading South Carolina's secession document at http://members.aol.com/jfepperson/reasons.html#SouthCarolina

Same place that Tom got the Mississippi article I think.  Takes them quite awhile to get around to talking about slavery.  Those framers had some really good points about the circumstances surrounding the establishment of colonial independence from Britain and the very nature of the Union.

There are also some interesting points in there about how individual states have set aside the what SC perceived to be constitutional law to suit their own moral tastes.  It is a good read.  In contrast, the Mississippi document is just harsh.

It took them awhile, but all they did was give us a history lesson of the United States up until then and tried to explain how they felt they were sovereign. When they finally get around to discussing WHY they are seceding, the first lines are pretty clear:

In the present case, that fact is established with certainty. We assert that fourteen of the States have deliberately refused, for years past, to fulfill their constitutional obligations, and we refer to their own Statutes for the proof.

The Constitution of the United States, in its fourth Article, provides as follows: "No person held to service or labor in one State, under the laws thereof, escaping into another, shall, in consequence of any law or regulation therein, be discharged from such service or labor, but shall be delivered up, on claim of the party to whom such service or labor may be due."

In other words, their problem was with how they felt the north was upholding the Fugitive Slave Law. Then virtually every passage thereafter discusses slavery. No mention of tariffs. I may have to read it again, but I don't even see the words States Rights.

It's really interesting how the slave states didn't want to be bothered by the central gov't except when it came to their own interests with slavery and forcing the north to uphold the fugitive slave law.

Last edited on Thu Aug 17th, 2006 07:47 pm by

Close Window