View single post by susansweet3
 Posted: Wed Mar 4th, 2009 02:21 pm
 PM  Quote  Reply  Full Topic 
susansweet3

Mana: 

The General is a classic silent movie based very very loosley on Andrew's Raiders . Buster Keaton is the Southern engineer who rescues his engine.  Some of the "special effects" are amazing .  Keaton's deadpan humor will have you rolling on the floor with laughter. 

It was filmed in Oregon with the Oregon national guard hired to play the Union and Confederate soldiers in the film. 

I shared a clip of it at our book discussion group movie night.  We ended up watching the whole thing with everyone laughing their heads off. 

The Three Stooges I saw a bit from a few years ago at the same Book discussion group for movie night that year. I can't remember what it is called.  They are three Union soldiers behind the lines who put on Confederate officers uniforms.  They are invited to tea at some southern ladies home.  Of course in making their own sandwiches they manage to get a pillow in the middle.  When they start to eat they eat feathers.  Soon feathers are flying everywhere.  I have never been a fan of Three Stooges but this one isn't bad.  

Found it :  Uncivil Warriors made in 1935  review on INDb says Set in the civil war, the stooges are spies for the north. They impersonate southern officers and infiltrate the enemy ranks to get valuable information. On the run when they are discovered, they hide in a cannon and are blown back to their northern headquarters

Hmm seems they also made Uncivil War Birds in 1946. The stooges are civil war soldiers who are constantly changing uniforms to avoid the opposing armies. Eventually they decide to be loyal to the south, but remain disguised as Union soldiers. Curly is detected as a spy, but Moe and Larry prevent his execution. The boys escape with a secret map and marry their three southern belles.

Susan 

Last edited on Wed Mar 4th, 2009 02:34 pm by susansweet3

Close Window