View single post by Johan Steele
 Posted: Tue Mar 17th, 2009 02:05 am
 Full Topic 
Johan Steele
Life NRA,SUVCW # 48,Legion 352

Mana: 

"The three mentioned were all established around 1900.  I know of only one monument to the USCT established during that period.  The rest are of modern vintage."

That would be factually incorrect; every single govt stone or GAR marker is a monument from a grateful nation and there are quite a lot of both over USCT graves.  There are large numbers of USCT in National Cemetaries.

I see the 1880 census mentioned often, but upon actually studying it I didn't see 7k Black Confederate veterans anywhere.  It's oft quoted, but as I said when one looks at it they are found wanting.

Blacks were not given equal pay in CS service because it was not legal for a black man to serve in the CS Army as a soldier.  Cook, teamster, etc; yes but "soldier" the answer is no.  A freeman could earn $2 a day as teamster... as a soldier in CS service he would have quickly seen that pay was a rare occurance.  Many of Wheelers command had not been paid in over a year at the time of the March to the Sea... free men were not fools.  As for volunteering for duty... the CS enacted a draconian conscription act very early on and quite a lot of white men never had the opportunity to volunteer.

By the end of the War near to a million black people had sought freedom away from their masters.  That is roughly 1/4 of the black population of the US prior to the War; this despite a very effective "Pattyroller" & Home Guard system intended to keep slaves from even considering that freedom had a chance.  Every single place along the coast where the US created an effective presence you see huge numbers of escaped slaves flocking to the area: Hilton Head, Amelia Island/Fernadina Beach etc.  Those people were running from something; and they were willing to tempt the devil & the deep blue sea for the mere HOPE of freedom.

As for USCT being cannon fodder... the USCT suffered more from disease than battle and by the end of the war about 20% of the US Army were USCT men.  The USCT gave good service fighting well in many campaigns... cannon fodder?  Hardly.

Close Window