View single post by Johan Steele
 Posted: Tue Mar 17th, 2009 07:02 pm
 Full Topic 
Johan Steele
Life NRA,SUVCW # 48,Legion 352

Mana: 

"The three mentioned were all established around 1900. I know of only one monument to the USCT established during that period. The rest are of modern vintage."

This statement is correct. The only monument until recent years to a USCT unit was the one for the 54th Massachusetts. You will have to define "recent" years as there are several mentioned earlier in the thread dating from the early half of the 20th century.

As to individual gravestones this is standard practice. Confederate Veteran organizations supplied or helped to pay for many monuments and markers for black Confederates.  Would you be kind enough to give the numbers of gravestones provided to Black Confederate soldiers by any state or CS veterans organization?  Any veteran of the US military is entitled to a stone and the GAR was very good about marking graves.  There are numbers of USCT graves that are marked in several National Cemetaries.  I can count on one hand stones I have seen for black men in the south dating from the period in question and I have never seen a monument to the black confederate and am only aware of one at all.

1890 Census

The census is very clear. The number of survivors at that time indicate there were at least 7,000 black Confederate soldiers
You'll have to provide a link, I've looked the the various census reports several times over the years, seen no evidence of such a listing or catagory.  But I also wasn't looking for "Black Confederate Soldiers."  Historians like Krick and McPherson would be quite suprised I think.

It was certainly custom and regulations that said 'whites only' but there was never any law enacted that prevented blacks from serving.  Are you serious?  Are you forgetting the fits in the CS congress over arming black men in April of 65?

Number of USCT

The USCT was never 20% of the Federal army. At its height -near the end of the war- it was only about 10%.

By the end of the 1 in 6 soldiers wearing the Blue around Petersburg were black men.  The numbers were similar elsewhere.

Blacks that "Escaped" to Enemy Lines  Escaped is correct; they weren't sent.

The largest number estimated by historians (McPherson?) is about five hundred thousand (unfortunately a great many of these people died). I don't know of anyone who has put forth the number one million.  I've seen it a score of times in the last several months, three locations on the eastern seaboard alone will total up w/ numbers of well over 100,000.  Find every US post or bridgehead along the eastern seaboard and I expect you'll get a rather large number; add the USCT men to the total and I can easily see it reaching a million people.  So 1 million is not unreasonable.  As to how many died and the implication the percentages of known death to disease were on par w/ the US military of the time and considerably less than that of the US military during the Mexican War.

See:

History of the Freedman's Bureau by Bentley

A Documentary History of Emancipation, 1861-1867.  SEries 2: the Black Military Experiance by Berlin

The Confederate Negro: Virginia's Craftsman and Military Laborers, 1861-1865 by Brewer

Blockaders, Refugees & Contrabands by Buker

The Gray and the Black by Durden

South Carolina's African American Confederate Pensioners... I'm not certain of the author.

Black Confederate and Afro Yankees in Civil War Virginia by Jordan

Like Men of War by Trudeau.

Close Window