View single post by slowtrot
 Posted: Tue Apr 7th, 2009 07:34 pm
 PM  Quote  Reply  Full Topic 
slowtrot

Mana: 

berrydancer said:
slowtrot:

"I must concur with The Iron Duke's first post above. In defending Thomas, you're guilty of the same things you accuse Grant and Sherman of doing, namely slander."

Slander “Oral communication of false statements injurious to a person's reputation.”  My statements are correct as many others attest.  Check your O.R.'s.

"Thomas was always right, but Grant was a lying drunk"

Why do you say that?  I never did!  I don’t think Thomas was always right, as to the rest your entitled to your opinion.

"Thomas had the best plans, but they were corrupted by that crazy Sherman who got jealous of Grant's butchery back East."

Not my statement either.  John Logan made that statement.  Its in Castel’s “Decision in the West” and p. 233 in McKinney’s book “Education in Violence.”.  However, some feel the same as you about Sherman’s metal aberation. 

"You do your argument no justice if you rely on ad hominem attacks in order to make it."

According to this definition, you are making the ad Hominem attacks

“Ad hominem argument is most commonly used to refer specifically to the ad hominem abusive, or argumentum ad personam, which consists of criticizing or attacking the person who proposed the argument (personal attack) in an attempt to discredit the argument. It is also used when an opponent is unable to find fault with an argument, yet for various reasons, the opponent disagrees with it, guilty of an “Ad Hominem Attack!”

"That being said, Thomas was an excellent commander. (I like to think of him as the Union Longstreet.)"

I’d say he was the Union's “Lee”.

"He performed ably throughout the war, and was superb at Chickamauga. I do agree that he has often gotten short shrift by history"

Agreed!

"though I don't believe it's because of some "liberal academic" conspiracy, as you mentioned in your initial posting."

What would you call any statement coming out of “our” Universities?  All polls taken indicate the faculties vote 90%+ democrat, what else would you call them?  I can think of several other adjectives.  However, there are other reasons.  I once wrote to Morningside about the lack of books on Thomas and their response was “we only print what sells.” 

Slowtrot

Close Window