View single post by slowtrot
 Posted: Wed Apr 8th, 2009 06:46 pm
 PM  Quote  Reply  Full Topic 
slowtrot

Mana: 

Iron Duke said:

"Chickamauga was a draw? I'm sure that would be news to the men of the Army of the Cumberland” 

This is what your referring to I assume!:

“His fame originated at one battle. When, with remnants of the Army of the Cumberland, he fought Bragg’s Army of Tennessee to a draw at Chickamauga Creek.”  This is a quote from the title page of the Web Site I claim as mine!  Are you disputing my ownership?

I guess you’re not familiar with the battle of Chickamauga?  But in a nut shell Rosecrans the commander of the Army of the Cumberland engaged Bragg and the Army of Tennessee early in the morning at a place near Chickamauga Creek.  Rosecrans, after a severe fight thought his Army was defeated and about 1:00PM retreated to Chattanooga with about half his Army.  He left Thomas with about 24,000 members of the Army of the Cumberland to fight Bragg.  Thomas grouped his men around Horseshoe ridge and held off the Rebel Army until about 5:00PM.  He held off the Rebel Army all through the afternoon.  After continuous attacks by the Rebels slackened and stopped, he was ordered by Rosecrans to move to Chattanooga.  Then he proceeded to march to Chattanooga.  Thomas had held the Army of Tennessee and Bragg to a DRAW!  This is where Thomas received the title of “Rock of Chickamauga.”

Slowtrot

Close Window