View single post by borderuffian
 Posted: Thu Apr 9th, 2009 09:49 pm
 PM  Quote  Reply  Full Topic 
borderuffian

Mana: 

Doc C wrote: Gin

Since I am a southerner I will be as tactfull as can be. WHERE DID YOU ATTEND SCHOOL. Your comment "south didnot go to war for slavery" is blatantly wrong. True the majority of southern soldiers didn't own slaves but the indirectly or directly, slavery was the basis of the cw. Do you really believe that the cw would have occurred if slavery didn't exist? I usually show restraint in my comments but comments like that really irritate me.

Doc C

There are several statements which give us good reason to doubt that view:

"Resolved by the Senate and House of Representatives of the United States of America in Congress assembled...:
ARTICLE THIRTEEN, No amendment shall be made to the Constitution which will authorize or give to Congress the power to abolish or interfere, within any State, with the domestic institutions thereof, including that of persons held to labor or service by the laws of said State."

Proposed amendment to the United States Constitution, March 1861 (passed by a Northern dominated Congress after several Southern states had seceded).

=======

"I understand a proposed amendment to the Constitution...has passed Congress, to the effect that the Federal Government shall never interfere with the domestic institutions of the States, including that of persons held to service....I have no objection to its being made express and irrevocable." (my emphasis)

Abraham Lincoln, Inaugural Address, March 4, 1861

=======

"...this war is not waged upon our part...for any purpose of conquest or subjugation, nor purpose of overthrowing or interfering with the rights or established institutions of those States; but to defend and maintain the supremacy of the Constitution, and to preserve the Union..."

Resolution passed by the United States House of Representatives, July 22, 1861 (Vote: 117-2). Similar resolution passed by the Senate, July 25, 1861 (Vote: 30-5).

=======

"My paramount object in this struggle is to save the Union, and is not either to save or to destroy slavery. If I could save the Union without freeing any slave I would do it, and if I could save it by freeing all the slaves I would do it; and if I could save it by freeing some and leaving others alone I would also do that."

Abraham Lincoln to Horace Greeley, August 22, 1862

Close Window