View single post by PvtClewell
 Posted: Fri Apr 17th, 2009 02:08 pm
 PM  Quote  Reply  Full Topic 
PvtClewell

Mana: 

Henry wrote:
Mark- Please read Lincoln's message to the special session of Congress, July 4, 1861.This will have to do for a formal declaration of war on the part of the Federal Government. It is out there on the net.

There was never a Federal formal declaration of war. To do so would recognize the legitimacy of the Confederate nation. Lincoln's call for a special session of congress was to define the national emergency and to find a way to confront it and finance it. And if you do define it as a declaration of war, why wait three months after Ft. Sumter? Conversely, the Provisional Congress of the Confederacy passed a bill on May 6, 1861, recognizing a state of war existed between the United States and the Confederate States.

The Emancipation Proclamation, while alluded to in three Lincoln speeches of 1862, did not stand on its own documentation until January of 1863. This after the writ of Habeas Corpus abolishment, Baker Laws and Military Draft made voicing anything but party line a bit "career limiting", shall we say.

Habeas Corpus was never abolished. It was suspended. You might note also that the Confederate Congress authorized the suspension of the writ of Habeas Corpus five days after Jefferson Davis' inaugural address for areas 'in danger of attack by the enemy.'

The Confederacy also instituted a national conscription act in April, 1862, nearly a full year before the Union. Who's limiting who?

I restate my assertion that the abolision of the institution of slavery, under attack since 1800 in the U.S.,

Why do you suppose this is?

was a factional motive, not a motive of the general U.S. population of the time.

In my opinion, the Missouri Compromise, the Kansas-Nebraska Act, the Fugitive Slave Laws, Dred Scott all punctuated the issue of slavery for the general public

That slavery had become a moral issue and illegal in many parts of the world by the time of secession is the single greatest cause for the failure of the Confederacy.

I can accept that, to a degree.

Sirs, though the issue be clouded by time, and the motives alien to me, I would never slander the contestants. It's been my observation that God and Country and all the laws ever written are reduced to those of your crew when it comes down to it.

If you are speaking in generic terms, I agree. If you are speaking in specific terms to a specific audience, then what about those of your crew?

Close Window