View single post by Proud Pa
 Posted: Sat Apr 18th, 2009 03:41 am
 PM  Quote  Reply  Full Topic 
Proud Pa

Mana: 

Hey y'all. This is my first post on this board and I apologize if I offend anyone, but I figured I'd just jump right in. The bottomline here is that this was not a war of good vs. evil. Yes, any reasonable person can see that slavery and the history of racism that followed was evil, but outside of a few evangelicals in New England, Slavery was hardly considered morally evil anywhere in the 1860s. Heck, this was a time when even children were often forced to work 12-14 hour days under brutal conditions for little pay. Additionally, freedmen in many Northern states were often treated as little more than slaves, often whipped for minor offenses. Understand this, because if it wasn't a moral crusade against slavery that motivated the North, then how are they any more righteous? Freedmen in antebellum New Orleans could testify against whites that had perpetrated a crime against them and though they couldn't vote and they certainly weren't equals but, blacks in the South could mingle with whites on railcars and in markets at a time when such things were unheard of in the North. This is not to say that life was peaches and cream, but it certainly paints a different picture. Frankly, I can't imagine how terrible it must have been to be a black man, free or slave, anywhere in America during the 19th century. As for Southern black codes and Jim Crow and all that. Black codes were a yankee import and Jim Crow was essentially the same thing. I can't imagine if the war had gone the other way that it would have been much different in many Northern states, especially the border states. Even in real life, Yankee California kept its anti-miscegenation laws until the late 60s. So, the point here is that racism and white supremacy is not the history of the South, but unfortunately, the history of America. Luckily, for the most part, things have improved and I wouldn't want to live anywhere else. As for Southern patriots, there's close to half a million you've likely never heard of. Here's a quote from one:      

"After the day was over, we gathered at Oddity Hall and the subject discussed bythe senators became the subject of our discussion. It became quite a heated conversation as father was a strong pro-slavery man, as were Mr. Stockett and Brother John. However, neither Joe nor I believed in the institution of slavery, and so we took opposite sides. We both declared that we would never own slaves, yet at the same time, we denounced the fanatical ideas of the North as unjust and unfair. The abolitionists never showed a way to get rid of slavery, nor a way to provide for the negroes after they were free... "

-Daniel Holt 16th Mississippi Infantry

Last edited on Sat Apr 18th, 2009 04:20 am by Proud Pa

Close Window