View single post by swampfox
 Posted: Wed Apr 22nd, 2009 09:08 pm
 PM  Quote  Reply  Full Topic 
swampfox
Private in SC Infantry

Mana: 

β€œThe spirit of resistance to government is so valuable on certain occasions that I wish it to be always kept alive.”-Thomas Jefferson

"hen in the Course of human events it becomes necessary for one people to dissolve the political bands which have connected them with another and to assume among the powers of the earth, the separate and equal station to which the Laws of Nature and of Nature's God entitle them, a decent respect to the opinions of mankind requires that they should declare the causes which impel them to the separation.

We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness. β€” That to secure these rights, Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed, β€” That whenever any Form of Government becomes destructive of these ends, it is the Right of the People to alter or to abolish it..."

I respect those who argue against slavery, as I am in their ranks. However, the Union weren't the great liberators our biased history books portray them to be. Many African American heroes served with the south. The deal is the North was equally racist. There is no good or bad side, I'm sorry. At the root of the southern cause were thousands of soldiers who were too poor to afford slaves. I have a feelign that the rich wanted preservation of slavery. Lincoln was no friend to the slaves. He was a white supremacist, and used many racial ideas in his earlier speeches. his wife's family in kentucky were proud slave owners, and didn't have to give such slaves up because the Emancipation freed slaves in the south, not the border states. I believe that prejudice was rampant, and never justified. Eventually, if the south had won, I would hope the people would see that God did create all men equal, and would abolish slavery and institue equality in the Southern Nation. This would have to have happened. I mean it was going on the 20th century. That institution wouldn't last long-north or south run, civil war or not.

Last edited on Wed Apr 22nd, 2009 09:09 pm by swampfox