View single post by barrydancer
 Posted: Tue Apr 28th, 2009 06:44 pm
 PM  Quote  Reply  Full Topic 
barrydancer

Mana: 

"Another one of those "unbiased" left-leaning academics?"

Sorry, I forgot. No one can be critical of the South without being "biased" and "left-leaning," and therefore circumspect in their conclusions. I suppose I could reference "historians" who paint the South as a land of milk and honey, filled with beautiful belles, and dashing cavaliers, strolling fields of roses tended by happy, smiling darkies. I prefer, however, not to deal in fantasy.

"I believe every predominantly white country promoted the idea of white supremacy...the North being no exception."

Perhaps, but the North didn't create their own government to prove the point, now did they?

I point you again to Alexander Stephens, vice president of the Confederacy, who ought to know a little something about what was going on at the time. The Confederacy's "foundations are laid, its corner- stone rests, upon the great truth that the negro is not equal to the white man; that slavery—subordination to the superior race—is his natural and normal condition. This, our new government, is the first, in the history of the world, based upon this great physical, philosophical, and moral truth."

Sounds a bit like the point Rowland was making. Would you classify Stephens as a biased leftist, then?

Were there free black people who willingly piked up a rifle and fought for the Confederacy? Not slaves commandeered to drive a wagon or pilot a boat or body servants who held their master's weapons? I'd be willing to say yes. Unless they left something behind, though, we'll never know what their motives were. I don't think there is a conspiracy to ignore them, they are simply an isolated phenomenon and didn't exist in the tens of thousands as some like to claim. If it were such a common occurrence would Cleburne have been ostracized for suggesting that the Confederacy arm its slaves? Or the Confederate congress have had such heated debates on the issue, excerpts of which Johan Steele has posted on another thread? I think not.

I've said my piece, and I'm bowing out of this thread before it does degenerate into personal attacks and conspiracy theories.  I apologize for my own contributions in sending this thread downhill.

Last edited on Tue Apr 28th, 2009 07:05 pm by barrydancer

Close Window